Tuesday, June 1, 2010

God is Good


For today’s post, I adapted a prayer of praise I wrote last week. After I had written it, though it was not what I would describe as prize poetry, I was struck by the truth of it. It made me feel thankful for the time I have been able to devote to God and my relationship with Him through the years. It also renewed my gratefulness for many people in my life – from childhood through today – who have taught me much. So, I for each characteristic of God, I looked up a familiar Scripture that backed up what I said, and inserted it here.



Dear Lord,

You are good. Look at all the good things You have given me. You couldn’t or wouldn’t give me those things, unless You’re good.


James 1:17

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.


And You love justice and righteousness. So, you’re good. You long for care for the poor and the oppressed. You want me and all your people to carry this care out. So You are good.


Deuteronomy 16:20

Follow justice and justice alone, so that you may live and possess the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Psalm 82:3-4

Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

You take care of the widow and the orphan, so You are good.

James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.


You are perfect, without sin, wickedness, false motives, pretense or cruelty. So You are good.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.


You take events that hurt and events that bring joy, and use both for good. How famous and loved your Name is!

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.


What a thrill to worship You. What a joy and relief that YOU would want me!

Psalm 100:2

Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.


You long for every single person to find You. You don’t want to cast away anyone. But You give me, and all people the choice to follow You. You are good!

Matthew 18:10-14

"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.


"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

Thank You. Thank You, for being good. For BEING. Thank You.

Exodus 3:14 (See verses 12-14 for context.)

God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "


In Jesus' Name, Amen

All the Scriptures are taken from the NIV version of the Bible, using biblegateway.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment