Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Taste and See Rollout


When I woke up yesterday morning, for the second time, my eight-year-old son let our little dog in my bedroom (and bouncing onto the bed), and asked if he could come in, too. Is there a sweeter way to start the day? Taste and see that the Lord is good, indeed.

No, there really isn't. Of course, if Davey's big sisters had been wandering in too, looking to share and receive some family love, that would have been icing on the cake. But I can't complain.

The first time I awoke, it was with my husband leaving for his morning Bible study. A gentle kiss good-bye, and have-a-good-day kind of departure. Blessed. I truly am.

So, welcome to my new blog. A journal of life, and times that I remember and walk in my Lord and Savior's goodness, and times that I am sure it will be evident that He is beyond my comprehension in particular.

I prayed about titling the blog. What would it be? Something clever and fun? Inspiring? Deep? What if I want to write about writing? Or I just want to put down a list of random thoughts? What if I rarely want anyone to read a word I write?

I decided on Taste and See, because it's always true. And it's an invitation to test the waters of this Jesus. That testing might involve giving Him your heart and life, or it might involve someone who already did that, following Him into a new purpose, challenge and chapter. Even in the middle of grief, wounds, anger and questions we can find Him. Regardless of where we are, if we seek Him, we can taste and see that the Lord is good.

Back to the morning. So, as the still dark morning changed to departure time for one teenager, one tween and one boy, even amid last minute check-writing, hurried cold-lunch-making, my joy and thankfulness remained.

But somewhere in there, I began to brood. Some recent disappointments are weighing on me, even though I know I live a life rich with blessings. Some of the disappointments are based on achievements I won't reach on my self-imposed time lines.

So, it's in these moments that I need to choose well, and choose to trust God and His sovereignty. It's His perfect plan, and timing, that I want to unfold (or should want) in my life, not mine. Mine, the plans out of my selfish desires, are frayed, ripped and torn like a camping blanket leftover from the 70s, in comparison. But, wow, when my heart's desires meld to His will for me, great things happen.

So, I think of loving God, and truly seeing Him. Not just seeing what he does for me, which is a lot. He GAVE me eternity with Him, life in the first place, husband and children, and so, so much more. But loving God for WHO He is. Love. The Great I Am. Lord. God Almighty. Immanuel. Wonderful Counselor. Those are good God identities to bear in mind walking through life, and its curve balls.

So I will process these disappointments about

Future plans - Career change? Doesn't look that way today.

Hobbies - Does walking really compare to running? Really?

A Different Home - Two stories, porch, gingerbread, pretty yard and idyllic dust-free air.

I know some of these things are at least largely superficial. And I have more than I need. So, I want to remember He is my reward. I want to recall some basics, like the many praiseworthy names of my God, and that He's near, too. So near. He is FOR me. And He's FOR you, too. Remember that.

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing.

Psalm 34:7-9 NIV

Taste and see. The Lord is good. The truth lies not in that He's good because He provides so well for me, or that He protects me and mine from all danger and hardship all the time, including those I bring upon myself and others. Consequences and hard days are real, and He knows it.

The truth lies in that Father, Son, Holy Spirit embody good. God IS what good really is. So, even in times of turmoil, confusion and hurt, I live (and I hope you can or you can come to) with an undercurrent of comfort and joy in that truth.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment